Subscribe with Bloglines

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Strawberry Shortcake


I planted a small plot (2 flats) of strawberries next to the rhubarb 4 summers ago, when we first moved in and I was beginning to create my garden. Each summer we've only gotten a few quite small berries, each of which has more flavor than a whole basket of store bought giant strawberries (designed for shipping more than eating). The horrible Chinese Elm seedlings have tried to turn the area into a forest, but with the help of Joe and Mandy we keep pulling and cutting them off. Most of the time I almost forget they are there, but in early spring, Joe starts checking them out and reporting to me what he finds. A couple of weeks ago he brought in one berry for me when I was still in bed and told me it was my breakfast (wow, he brought me breakfast in bed, what more could a girl want?) I had to purchase strawberries for my strawberry rhubarb jam making session this spring.


Today the berry patch paid off for all the watering and weeding and I was able to gather a small basket full. We had strawberry shortcake for supper and it tasted the way I remember from my childhood. I wish I had a copy of Granny's recipe for her homemade biscuit type shortcake, but somehow never go that one so we used angel food cake. I've now decided to fill in the rest of the area in front of the fence with more strawberry plants. The best part is that there are still more berries coming on the plants for eating later.
I've been quite busy with garden projects and haven't had time or energy to do any quilting (or posting). I'll post about these projects in the near future.

4 comments:

Rian said...

Looks delish, Fran. I like those biscuit shortcakes, too. Like Grandma used to make.

Linda S. said...

Fran,
Those strawberries look wonderful. I love the look of your garden and can sympathise with the raised beds. Had rocks that had to be dynamited when we lived in Arkansas... My grandmother was a Florence...You are the first person I have ever known that was also a Florence and not a relative...grin...that we know of....

allie aller said...

Those berries look like the real thing, alright. They make my mouth water!

Gayle said...

Thank you for your nice comments. I'm new to this and have read your blog a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nice to meet you...and those strawberries look delicious!