Subscribe with Bloglines

Saturday, June 23, 2007

May 12 x 12 Sweet Springtime Blossoms


Finally, it is done! I've struggled with this concept for 2 months and was afraid at times that it would be stillborn. Using paper mockups of the flower photos I tried many arrangements and was never happy until I thought of thinking outside the square.
I tried a new technique by fusing layers of blue and green nylon net between white silk organza with Misty Fuse to give it a luminous translucency. It was backed with a blue and green batik fabric and the top is a scan of the batik printed onto a sheet of silk ExtravOrganza. I printed photos of my spring flowers onto sheets of prepared silk satin (also new to me); these flower hexagons were then fused onto the ExtravOrganza and and machine satin stitched appliqued with a turquoise Mettlach cotton thread. I didn't do any stitching on the edges of the triangles between the hexagons because, once again, I didn't want the whole piece to have any effect of framing; in this series I like the effect of pieces cut out of my world.
I fused a poem printed on a silk Extravorganza hexagon and a butterfly cut from fabric to the back for the label.

[Please click the photos to see the details and read the poem.]
I began by printing the photos on regular printer paper and deciding the size to make the hexagons. It took a while to decide which flowers worked together and which didn't. Then I rearranged the hexagons in several patterns and decided on this pattern with the star in the center, but somehow I just wasn't satisfied. After the first month I even wondered if it was time to leave the hexagons and go to some entirely different pattern, but I still had several hexagon patterns that I really wanted to try and didn't want to give it up.
It just didn't really grab me until I realized if I trimmed off the corners of the square I'd get a large base hexagon which reinforced the design and gave it the Pow! I was looking for. This is the paper mockup that made up my mind. I wan't about to cut up the real thing until I could see it and be sure. My paper mockups sure save a lot of good fabric.
Up until I finished the satin stitching around the small hexagons, I still planned to quilt in the lines on the center star, but at that point, I realized I liked the simplicity of the open space in the center better.
Too see other 12 x 12 x 12 Challenge pieces check out the Quilt Studio blog.
Now can I finish the June piece before the end of June and get back on schedule?

7 comments:

Deb Geyer said...

WOW, Fran! That is awesome! I love it.

Beth said...

This turned out so great! It's just beautiful!

Barbara C said...

Brilliant! What a wonderful design: it really shows off your photos and the fused fabric beautifully.

Allison Ann Aller said...

This is so creative...I just love what you have done here!

Micki said...

Very lovely piece, Fran. I really like the hexagon shape of it. And leaving part of the edges unstitched does really give it an extra punch.

Samantha said...

it's gorgeous- your perserverence paid off in spades!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

This is very pretty. I'm going to have to get back on schedule with my Elvis quilts.