Subscribe with Bloglines

Friday, April 18, 2008

Three More Names of God Blocks

Thanks for your comments about our wildfires. I am happy to report that the rain and snow allowed both fires to be stopped. 20 families lost homes, and 2 firefighters died in the Ordway fire. No structures were lost and I tanker pilot lost his life in the Fort Carson fire. The rain and snow helped but today the temp was back up in the 70s and will be hotter, drier and windy again tomorrow which will make for more Red Flag Fire days. I love the warm weather but could do without that everlasting, moisture sucking wind.

In spite of all that has been going on I managed to finish 3 more of my Quilting the Names of God blocks.


Week 12 The Lord Is Peace_Yahweh Shalom. "Shalom is a Hebrew word, so much richer in its range of meanings than the Enlish word 'peace', which usually refers to the absence of outward conflict or to a state of inner calm. The concept of shalom includes these ideas but goes beyond them, meaning 'wholeness,' 'completeness,' 'finished work,' 'perfection,' 'safety,' or 'wellness.' Shalom comes from living in harmony with God...When you pray to Yahweh Shalom, you are praying to the source of all peace." I plan to use the greeting "Shalom" more often in the future, it is a good word.

I chose the blue fabric to represent peace and the gold for plenty.

"So Gideon built an altar to the LORD there and called it The LORD is Peace. (Judges 6:24)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petitions, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7.


Week 13. The Lord Is My Rock_Yahweh tsuri. I could not figure out how to paper piece this Cornerstone block [and I am terrible at doing set-in seams) so made it with fused machine quilting. I chose colors to represent stone. (Colorado means red and we do have lots of red rocks here, not to mention some gold rocks). I am pleased with the results of my color scheme; while being a bit hesitent to use the bright red with the more maroon reds, the effect is what I wanted to create.


"The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronhold, my refuge and my savior--from violent men you save me. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies." (2 Samuel 22:2-4


Week 15. The Lord Is My Shepherd_Yahweh Roi. My Sheep Fold block is paper pieced with green fabric for the green pastures. I also like the little swirls that remind me of curley sheep's wool.

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." (Psalm 23:1-3)





These names and scriptures are more meaningful to me this evening than they even were when I did my daily studies. As I was finishing photographing the blocks, I received a phone call that one of my very dear cousins, who has been bravely fighting pancreatic cancer for the last 14 months, went to his room this evening and shot himself to death, with absolutely no warning to anyone (wife, son or 2 close brothers) that he simply couldn't take any more pain and suffering.

7 comments:

Deborah M. said...

Fran, Psalm 121: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills:
From whence cometh mine help.
My help cometh even from the Lord:
Who hath made heaven and earth." This psalm comforts me in sad times. I am sorry to hear about your cousin. I found a beautiful musical version of this Psalm here: http://www.geocities.com/suonnoch/Mythmyst/Hills.html

Barbara C said...

My condolences on the tragic death of your cousin. You all must be devastated.

Pamela said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your cousin's death. What a terrible shock that must have been to his family. I will be praying for God's comfort for them all.

Deb Hardman said...

Oh dera Fran, I'm so sorry for you & your family. What a horrible thing, both the cancer & the suicide. God bless him & you all.

allie aller said...

This is such sad news, Fran.
I am so glad you have your sweet faith in the Lord to help you through this...I know you are being a rock for your family, too.
This earth is one tough school.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Fran, you blocks are lovely. My sincere condolences on the death of your cousin. Both my sister and I have lost friends this year to pancreatic cancer. It is a horrible disease.

Juryizstillout said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. Sorry I'm just getting around to hear about it.