Subscribe with Bloglines

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Allison Tagged Me

7 Things about me:

1. I live mostly in denim; split skirts, skirts, baggy legged jeans, jackets and vests, with
tee shirts layered with flannel shirts when it is cool. Indigo is my neutral, with a bit of pink or red to set it off. I resent having to wear anything else after years of a big lady dress-up job.

2. I have been a bookworm since I was 6 years old and could read; in a 1000 square foot modular house I have 141 linear feet of bookshelves, plus the books on my headboard and in a large basket in the living room, and the ones in Joe’s room. The largest majority of these are reference (field guides), how-to (genealogy, gardening, needlepoint, quilting and related), history, art, classical music, and theology.

3. I love to garden so much, that when I lived in an apartment over Joe’s shop in downtown Florence, I had a rooftop garden and patio (La Playa Brea) that got lots of attention from the tourists and antique shoppers. Here I have herb, veggie, and prairie gardens that I am creating from a weed patch.

4. I love to do needlepoint but I hate to make them into anything useable, so over the 25 years I’ve been stitching, I’ve collected a large collection of unfinished canvases. I am now attempting to make them up and give them to family members to enjoy rather than have them lying in drawers.

5. I am a batty, old cat lady. I am partial to Siamesers and currently have 2 neutered male lynx point Siamese housemates (actually I am their slave). I also have a pet long haired black male outdoor cat, who tells me when he is hungry and deigns to allow me to feed him, but after over 2 years still refuses to let me touch him. In addition, I feed a series of macho alley tomcats that come to eat long enough to win my heart and then disappear. These feed pans also lure skunks and raccoons to my back door on a regular basis.

6. I am a birdwatcher and have designed my garden to be attractive to the birds and other wild critters, with a tiny pond and fountain in my prairie garden to water them and birdfeeders throughout the garden. I belong to the CoBirders yahoo group and get daily reports on interesting bird sightings throughout the state. I’m also a member of national Audubon.
7. My décor style indoors and out is depression era southwestern farmhouse primitive with rocks, minerals, and interesting rusty junque stuck hither and yon. I am probably the only devotee of this particular style. I like to think of myself as a desert rat gypsy.

Now I’m supposed to tag 7 other bloggers to do this meme; who hasn’t done it yet? Jane Ann, Suze, Susan, Vivian, Nikki, JenClair, Jules? Great way for us to learn more about each other and lots better than 25 or 50 things, 7 is easy. But, only if doing it is fun for you all.

9 comments:

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Thank you for sharing more about you! I really enjoyed reading your list.

allie aller said...

I enjoyed it too...thanks so much, Fran!

Barbara C said...

What a great list Fran, thanks for sharing. It's interesting how much cats and gardening are common interests among quilters.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! The Hanging Gardens of Florence are/were darned impressive! Now, that's a girl who loves diggin' in the dirt, alright. Very interesting list, lady.

Rian said...

I liked this peek into your personal life and the picture inside your home. (I love to see people's houses.) This quilter is neither a gardener nor a cat person.

Unknown said...

i love the thought of all those books! Yum!

Deb Sews Quilts said...

It was fun to learn more about you. I read your blog lots but seldom comment. Just want you to know that I enjoy your blog.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Fran, I enjoyed learning more about you. You really are quite interesting. And, boy! would I like to get into all those books.

Jo Raines said...

Loved reading about you in your random things. It's great to get to know everyone better.