Subscribe with Bloglines

Friday, February 2, 2007

Urban Red Fox


I am so jealous; my daughter, Michal Ann, sent me these photos of a fox in her backyard. She says she thinks the fox is dreaming of eating Roo Kitty. The amazing thing is that Mike lives in Wheatridge, which is a western suburb of Denver. She is just a few blocks from a city park with natural landscape and a lake so occasionally she has a fox come for a visit. I've never had a fox in my yard, what am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's just as well, but I do love to see the foxes.




It is snowing again; we've had major snows now for 7 weeks in a row, usually at the end of the week. This one came in sooner than I expected and had the "fun" of driving home from shopping in it this afternoon. There wasn't much on the side streets yet but it was very slippery.

I didn't manage to check in on WIP Wednesday, but I'm still working on the Strippy Ninepatch for the 40 Quilts Service Project; I'm nearly done with a new WOTB block, just have to do the machine applique stitching. I've also started doing a few mock ups for my February 12 x 12 quilt. The first photo I tried just wasn't pleasing me but as I was driving to Canon City I spotted a herd of black cattle grazing on a snowy pasture in front of some hills, so I turned the car around, found a place to park and got some photos which I think are just what I needed. Even the "just before the snowstorm" light was right for the evening scheme that I have in mind.

Blogger wouldn't post my photos last night, so here I am again. It was forecast to stay under 10 degrees F. today, but it is sunny with a temp of 39 degrees. I prefer this type of forecasting error so much better than the unexpected blizzards.

5 comments:

Fruit Jar Nicky said...

Oh how I love to see a fox run across the yard. Rare moments here, but every once in a while you'll see one. Running into a possum while coming out of the house in the dark....not so fun. Watching him waddle off into the dark was cool though. Seeing raccoons hanging from the bird feeders can be amusing too. Gotta love the wildlife!

Rian said...

I don't think I've ever seen a fox outside of the zoo. Cool!

Anonymous said...

Last summer when our neighborhood yards were excavated and filled for construction bungling (the builder buried trees, which rotted and left huge sinkholes scattered--see "Big Sandbox" from July), we fostered a den of foxes on our street for over a year. They became so domesticated they would stand just feet away while we checked the mailbox, sat in our flowerbed trying to figure out that other fox looking back from the gazing ball, and finally made a mess of my back deck and some of the upholstery with their pawprints and chewing. They slept on the furniture! And we live in the heart of a very busy area of Nashville. They were cute ... for a while. I never thought to take their picture--they were as available as housecats (which we didn't see much of during that time).

Debra Dixon said...

I see that you have your 365 photos! very pretty!

All critters have their own charm--IMHO.

Deborah M. said...

Fran, I used to see foxes on my way to work in Atlanta of all places, early in the morning. Lately, we've been seeing coyotes out here in suburbia. And just the other day, 2 deer crossed the road in front of me. I nearly had a wreck. I love to see urban wildlife! :-)