Subscribe with Bloglines

Friday, January 25, 2008

More Quilting the Names of God Blocks




For week 2 of our study I fused and machine appliqued this Desert Rose block for the God Who Sees Me/El Roi. The Desert Rose represents Hagar when she ran away into the desert and met God who saved her and gave her a promise "I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count."...


She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: 'You are the God who sees me,' for she said, 'I have now seen the One who sees me.'" --Genesis 16:13




The week 3 block is a paper pieced The Mountain Peak block which represents God Almighty/El Shaddai.

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, 'I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless, I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.'" --Genesis 17:1-2


I have chosen fabrics with abstract and geometic gold touched designs on black, white, red, blue, green, and gold for my Quilting the Names of God quilt. The fabrics for Praying the Names of Jesus
are also gold touched but the designs are based on nature since Jesus came down to live and die on earth; he could be seen and touched. The abstract designs are more austere and less natural since the Bible tells us that humans cannot look upon the glory of God with natural eyes.

6 comments:

Kay said...

Those are stunning blocks. The gold and rich colors seem appropriate to the theme of the quilt.

Sandra said...

Hi Fran! Your blocks are as beautiful as always, and I greatly enjoy seeing them. I love thinking of God as 'the God who sees me'. How encouraging that is.
Thanks for posting!!

Debra Dixon said...

Love your contemporary take on the Desert Rose block. very pretty!

Rian said...

I am glad to see you doing more of these blocks. They are stunning.

Barbara C said...

Beautiful blocks Fran. I love your choice of fabric for these blocks and your explanation of your choice. Thanks for reminding me of the story of Hagar. It's a very powerful one.

Deb Hardman said...

Nice work Fran. I really love your Desert Rose