Subscribe with Bloglines

Monday, February 15, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day February 2010

This is why February is the worst month of the year for me. Everything is brown, dry and dead; if I hadn't seen the miracle of Spring for 71 years, I would find it difficult to hope or have faith in live, green, growing, blossoming plants.

Usually, I have a few pansies and violas that manage to bloom through the winter, but this year even the pansies haven't been able to survive.
But indoors I manage to have a few blossoms. This is the lovely, tiny blossom on a hanging succulent that my mother started for me several years ago. If anyone knows what it is, I'd love to know the name. This hangs in the window over my kitchen sink. Since mother is in assisted living, I have her huge mother plant hanging in the sunporch.


A couple of blossoms are on the mini Hoya in the dining room south window. I think Hoyas have some of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen; they look like they are made of glass. These are petite compared to the regular size Hoya on the sunporch. This plant started from three tiny sprigs from a sweet lady in senior housing in Lyons, when I was working for the Boulder County Housing Authority in the 70s. My oldest daughter also has a house full of these now in Wheatridge.



This is the final gasp of the Christmas Poinsettia in the dining room.


This is from the final stalk of Amaryllis blooms from the dish of three huge bulbs my daughter-in-law Robyn gave me at Thanksgiving. It's bloomed for three months and cheered us up during the sleeping garden season.


Finally, one of the Orchids (P. Mount Beauty x Stope New Candy) is getting ready to bloom again soon, in the south dining room window. I've been amazed at how faithfully these Orchids bloom year after year, and how long the blooms last. I have finally learned to only try to grow plants that don't take a lot of coddling, both indoors and out.
To see what is blooming around the world, today, check out the list at May Dreams Gardens.


7 comments:

Noel Morata said...

aloha,


yeah for indoor plants...your hoya show looks spectacular along with some of the other lovelies:)

Ruth said...

Hi, Fran, I was born in Colorado and I, too, love to quilt, even though I don't have much time for it right now. Thank you for your GBBD photos. I especially like the hoya!

Caroline said...

I can't wait for those orchid buds to open, I"m sure they will be gorgeous! Happy GBBD!

Rian said...

I live in California where the most beautiful gardens can bloom year 'round, but my yard looks (and will always look, for I am no gardener) like your top photo. Sigh. Know thy limitations.

Ruth said...

Hi, Fran. Thank you for all of your sweet comments on my blog! I am glad you enjoyed it! :) My mom grew up in Olathe, CO. I wonder if that is anywhere near where you are? I was born in a suburb of Denver.

Preston Benjamin said...

Lovely flowers Granny Fran!

As for your mom, an assisted living facility near your area is a great place for her to live a spirited life.

donna said...

My first time visiting your blog.

So nice that you have a plant started by your mother. Sorry I can't help you with the name of it.

I've seen a lot of Amaryllis photos this winter, but none that were the color of yours. Stunning.

However do you manage so many houseplants with kitty cats in the house?

donna