Subscribe with Bloglines

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What's On Your Bed?


I picked up this challenge from Paula at Colorado Quilter. I think it's fun to see what quilters
dress their beds with. Actually, the folded quilt at the foot of my bed is not one I made; I bought it on eBay a few years ago. I've never made a full size quilt, only crib, lap and journal type quilts. Most of the quilts I've made have been for other people. I am planning on making a full size quilt from my Women of the Bible blocks for myself, but I don't want to put it on my bed, because all three cats would mess it up quickly, I'm afraid. The vintage kitchen table next to the bed is what I use as a cutting table.


You can see that I also have needlepoint pillows, sheep, and a lion at the head of my bed. Two of the sheep are Shari Lewis' Lamb Chop stuffed toys and the Lyons Lion was made for me about 30 years ago by one of the little old ladies at the Boulder County Housing Authority's first project, Bloomfield Place, for senior citizens in the town of Lyons, north of Boulder. (One of the highways to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park runs through Lyons. ) This is when I worked for the Boulder County H. A. and assisted in the development of the project and then was in charge of property management. And now I are one of the little old ladies.


Here is a photo of my design wall (doors) with the WOTB and Names of Jesus blocks that I've finished so far. Too bad I didn't start quiltmaking when I was younger and could accomplish a lot more in much less time than it now takes me. But, I'm so glad that I finally did start; it has enriched my life so much, both in the creation, and in the quilters I've met.


The folded quilts on the shelf with my stash boxes are family quilts. The Butterfly quilt was made by Joe's Mom, Elsie, (from the pattern and fabrics, probably in the sixties) and the Depression Era Dresden Plate quilt was made by my Granny many years ago. I still have some unused Dresden Plate circles and strips of the pie shaped edging pieces that she had left over. One of the pieced circles is hanging around the shade of my reading lamp on the head board. I love those old fabrics.

6 comments:

Deb Geyer said...

Your design wall looks so interesting with all of the WOB blocks on it. They are looking great!!

Like you, most of the quilts I have made have gone to live at another home so we have no quilts on any of the beds here. I guess I should remedy that!!

allie aller said...

Those WOB blocks are just stunning all together like that!
Love seeing your space...
As for my bed, all I have is a white flannel duvet cover to dress it up! How plain.....

Kay said...

You will have some beautiful quilts when these two projects are done. I have no quilt on my bed either--too much light in the room and a shedding cat! That makes four quilters here with no quilts on their beds. How funny!

Rian said...

We have a commercial duvet/cover on our bed, but I do put my quilts on the guest beds.

The WOTB blocks are beyond belief!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Your bed looks so cozy. And those quilt blocks are awesome.

Perry said...

Love all of your quilt blocks. So, how many wips do these represent? lol